Monday, December 29, 2008

Because I don't have enough jobs

So as anyone who reads this blog knows, I have a lot of jobs. I do the doula thing a bit - - a birth every other month or so, or more often if it works out. I conduct early childhood training workshops, although work has been awfully scarce lately. And oh yeah - I am a mommy too - the biggest, most important job with the longest hours and the worst pay but the job that has made me the richest.

Well, a few weeks ago, I was offered another job for 2009. The church where we work decided they would like to start a part-time preschool, and they asked me to start it and be the director. Now I should preface this by saying I made the decision in the summer to stop contracting for the early childhood workshops and go out on my own to start my own business. I am doing that, although I have taken longer than I initially planned. But I am doing it. Anyway, that being said, the timing on this church thing is pretty ridiculous. Otherwise I couldn't ask for a better situation - the church is extremely supportive, with a beautiful space. The slate is totally clean there. I will be writing all the policies, choosing/creating the curriculum, making all decisions, hiring, etc etc etc . . .I have the chance to do things the way I think they should be done. And all of you know how much I love that. It is very unusual to be in that position. And the reason that it is wonderful is the reason that it INSANE!! It is going to be an incredible amount of work - physical and mental - to get this off the ground! And I am not ready to put my own business idea aside.

If it isn't yet obvious I accepted the offer. We are not in a financial position where I can be turning down a job in my field with the flexibility and opportunity they were offering. So for 2009 I will be starting two brand new businesses from the ground up. I am at once nervous and excited about it all!! Stay tuned for more about my training business - the web site is almost ready for publishing! And as soon as we have a name for the preschool program I'll let ya' know. It will be very interesting to see where we are this time 2009. It is a little ironic that I have started now to really make an effort to live in the moment, try to be present. Glutton for punishment, did I hear? Or maybe just up for the challenge. Guess that is to be seen!

2 comments:

Mark said...

If anyone can do it, it's you! You are fifty different kinds of awesome.

Valerie said...

You are one crazy mama! By the way, would you hire me? Peter is out of a job come March...