Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Packing . . .and packing . . .and packing . . .

So just to catch up everyone who doesn't yet know . . .(uh, Valerie, Aunt Julie)
Dad/Grandpa Len has rented a motor home so that he, Mark, Erin Jillian and I can take a week long vacation to northern Michigan. We will be parking it at his sister Penny's house in Traverse City while we see the sites, which will include Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes, Crystal Lake, a day at Mackinac Island and I am not sure what else. We will leave Friday afternoon and return next Friday. We have found a route that, if driven straight, would take about 8 1/2 hours. And in theory, getting the motor home will allow us to drive straight through (no potty stops, eat on the road, etc.) However, a motor home gets (hold on to your environmental hats . . .) 7 miles to the gallon. Yes, that's SEVEN. So it will remain to be seen how many times we have to stop for gas on the way! Regardless it is agreed that we are up for an adventure and we are all totally excited. We can really use a stay-in-the-moment kind of vacation.

I have never taken a 3 1/2 and 5 year old on a week-long vacation. I tend to pack for a lot of 'just in case' situations anyway, even when it's just for a trip to the pool. So I am trying to be reasonable but not miss anything! It is hard to predict weather and boredom levels, and we also have to provide all bedding and kitchen provisions for the motor home. I have lists all over the house - probably not the most efficient way to use lists, but it's working so far. It's not like we're going to a deserted island . . .if we've forgotten something I'm pretty sure we can get our hands on it pretty quickly! I just want the girls to have fun.

I just figured out how to post to the blog from my new phone, including pictures! So we could be out wherever and I can post what we are doing without a computer! Like our own little reality show - Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Sounds like a great get-a-way. Have a great time and I will check everyday for updates. Love to all of you.
Julie

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Look at you all - you can post a blog from your new phone; Jill suggests she watch a movie while you put all the music for your vacation on your ipod; and I'm still struggling with operating the DVD and my regular cell phone. Jill probably knew what an ipod was before I did. What's wrong with this picture. Well, I suppose she and Erin will know what a lot of things are before I will. I can certainly get to your blog - keep them coming. Love you.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! On The Road with the Tablers - we'll be your loyal fan club. Have a great adventure! Love from Nana.