Sunday, September 09, 2007

And you think you know a girl . . .

Just about to get out of the car in the carpool line at her first day of preschool.


Last Tues. was the first day of Erin's preschool. Really besides VBS (where I was still in the church with her) this is the first thing she has ever done without me. We have been really talking it up and went to open house the week before. Her teacher Ms. Kathy even sent her a letter in the mail!
During the open house they gave us a "tell us about your child" sheet, where I explained that although Erin wasn't going to cry or thow a fit when I dropped her off, she would probably not talk to any one for quite awhile (I mean, like weeks). I said that we were fine if she was shy, as long as she was using good manners and being a good friend.
Anyway, to cut to the chase - - She happily got out of the car in the carpool line the first day and marched right on in. When I picked her up, Ms. Kathy said, "Well she talked and played all day!!" Yes (those of you who have been around Erin know how shocking this is) - Erin talked to teachers and kids the first day of preschool!
Ms. Kathy (who, by the way is THE BEST preschool teacher we could ask for) emailed me to tell me the things Erin did on her first day. How great was that?! She told me that Erin was telling her all about the play food and when she got to a breadstick, she told her, "I eat those in restaraunts, but not at Wendy's."
Day 2 - - Of course, still no problem getting out of the car and totally happy to be going to school. When I pick her up, she gets this funny smile on her face, like she is embarassed to be happy to see me. Ms. Kathy tells me that she talked about Jillian all day, without any prompting at all. She said, "I can see her face change when she sees you!" And then when I say, "Erin, tell Ms. Kathy 'thank you'", Erin acts all shy and won't talk to her.
The next day, we were talking about asking Mimi and Grandpa to go to ArtSparks with us. She said she would ask them, " . . .but I'm a little bit shy." So I took the opportunity and said, "Yeah, it's okay to be shy sometimes. Are you shy at school?" She answered, "No, just at home."
What?? She even knows she's only shy at home? Why couldn't she just tell me this?
Today was her first day in the 3 yr old room at church, where Ms. Lauren teaches. (Again, up until today she has always been in my room at church too). So about halfway through the morning, I peek my head in to Ms. Lauren's room to see what they were doing. Ms. Lauren says to me, "I thought you told me she was shy. She's been talking to me all morning! She even said, 'This is Dolly' and threw her in the corner, where she stayed the rest of the morning."
So what in the world have I been doing to my child for three years?? I swear I have made an effort not to smother her or supress her at all. And I feel like I have been very respectful of her shy (HA!) personality. I know that kids always act differently around their parents, but I am very surprised by the turn of events this week. And I am grateful we started all these activities when she was three and not and later - - she would have been trapped with me that whole time!
SoI am now that mom who has to pick her daughter up at school and be sure her bag is packed at night, etc. It's is really funny because I worked with those moms in so many different capacities for so long that it is hard for me to believe I am one of them! All in all we had a great week and I am now waiting in suspense to see what else I don't know about my children!
- - Next post: first soccer game, what Jill does while Erin is at school, and where's all the knitting??

5 comments:

candy said...

that's hilarious and awesome. i can't believe she's a chatterbox. i don't know if i've ever heard her speak!

David said...

Yeah. All your fault Kim. Way to go.(sarcasm)

jrb said...

She must be training for girl band :) Easton told me about a boy who was not acting nicely on the playground at school. (A kid pulled his hair) I questioned him to make sure that HE was acting nicely on the playground and did not retalliate. He assured me, "I always act nicely at school, Mommy. Just not at home." So...it could be worse?

Valerie said...

Kids have a way of making liars of us! I have a couple of neices who are the same way. They will talk to me like crazy if their mom isn't around, but the minute she is around, they clam up. I'm sure it is just a stage. Don't blame yourself! Erin could not have asked for a more perfect mommy for herself! Jill too for that matter!

Anonymous said...

I just remembered how to get on here (not shy - just 60), Wow. What fun reading this! You are a wonderful mom. I've seen you in the worst of times...and the best of times...and you are awesome.

Love,
Mom

P.S. You were the same way when you were little! I remember!