Tuesday, January 06, 2009

just a little more

I have started to feel a little guilty about my last post - - I don't want to come off holier-than-thou and I am afraid I did. My issue is not only the specific examples, but the broader issue they illustrate. You can hardly go a few days without hearing how children just don't have the respect they used to have, or the attention spans they had a few decades ago. Well where in the world do children learn these things? How do children learn to have conversations? By having real, meaningful conversations. How do children learn to mitigate difficult social situations? By observing appropriate social behavior in the adults around them. How do children learn to persist at tasks, learn new vocabulary, use imagination? Believe it or not the answer is not video games. The research is so prevalent I cannot even begin to list it, and I am sure that is not what people are coming to my blog for. (If you are, let me know! I'm on it!)
I make many many mistakes every day as a parent. I never claim to be perfect or have all the answers. I hope that is not the message I sent!
Now I am putting my soapbox away (for now). . .my phone is ringing.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Only if you start typing your blog in short-hand texting lingo will you then come off hypocritical.

Valerie said...

I'm with youon all this technology! Not to say I don't entertain my kids for hours sometimes with the TV and video games, but I see what all of the technology has done to personal relationships as a whole. Good reminder to try and play with my kids more. As long as it doesn't interfere with my facebook time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, I am Beth's mom and in the empty nest syndrome catagory. In fact been in it a long time. I sincerely enjoy the things you blog about. Brings back great memories and helps me realize there is a time for rearing and a time for letting go. I thought the rearing was hardest at times, but now I feel the letting go the hardest.

Anonymous said...

No way! You are right on. You did not come off as holier-than-thou! Intelligent, yes. Insightful, yes. Sincere, yes. I know I'm your mother, but it's the truth.
Love from Nana