Monday, August 13, 2007

From the eyes of a three year old

A few days before Erin's birthday -
Erin: "I wonder how big I will be on my birthday!"

A few hours before Erin's party, on her birthday:
me: "There's my three-year-old!"
Erin: "Almost . . . I'm still yittle."


After her party was over, as we closed the Playground down at 8:00:
me: "All right, you three-year-old. Time to go!"
Erin: (quivering lip, tears almost welling up in her eyes) "No . . .I'm not big."
me: "Yes you are! You've gotten so much taller than you used to be. You are the perfect size for a three-year-old!"
Erin: (putting her hand on top of her head) "No, I'm still just this!"


It all came together for me then - She thought that her birthday party was the point in time when she would become a 'big girl'. I am not sure how big she thought she would be, but I can't help but invision some bizzare scene from The Incredible Hulk. Bless her sweet little heart!


She quickly got over it when I told her she could jump in the jumpy castle a few more minutes . . . I had no idea what I was going to do if her disappointment persisted!

The party was a great memory for her - thanks to all of you who were there in person or in spirit!


The cake - Thanks Helga!

The birthday girl

Camille - "Who doesn't love a great party??"



Jumpin' girls



An accidental action shot of the boys - Nathan and Easton

2 comments:

candy said...

i am so sorry we missed it, but it sure looked fun! happy birthday big erin!

Valerie said...

Wow! Three years old already? What a neat cake! I love it! Erin looked like she had a lot of fun in the bouncy house. Look at those red cheeks! What a sweet story? I just don't think I could have standed it to see that precious girl cry!

Happy Birthday Erin!